Tuesday, September 11, 2007

MS Security Laws of Limited Use if You Don't Know Who the "Bad Guy" Is

I read (via) an excellent Microsoft TechNet article called "10 Immutable Laws of Security" and it seemed to me that one big problem is in defining the "bad guy" the author is talking about in these laws.

Here are the first 4 of the laws (the ones with the term "bad guy"):

Too often, my problem is not about one of the "10 Laws" coming into play, but wondering whether the agent I'm dealing with is a "bad guy." Obviously, if I'm thinking about downloading a random piece of potential malware, or letting users post to my website with arbitrary JavaScript, then the bad guy often fits the traditional definition of a malware distributor, black hat, etc.

But what about ... "legitimate" businesses like a media company that wants to install a broken DRM system with a rootkit? what about a company that means well but writes a compromised browser plug-in that I'm supposed to install? or a company (or client-company) IT admin who wants to physically "configure" my system for their VPN, virus protection, app protocols, etc.?

I don't let anyone upload programs or scripts to my website (intentionally) ... but what about all those widgets I might put on my site? The scripts that widgets pull into the client browser can't do any harm to my web app that I won't let them ... but from my users' point of view, anything these widgets do to them or their data, directly or indirectly is my fault.

It's a problem that's been discussed a lot (e.g., Windows Firewall exceptions, Vista UAC, etc.) My point is simply that many users (even many who are not extremely sophisticated) have a pretty good handle on laws 1-4, and need a better way to figure out whether a vaguely legitimate, well-meaning agent should count as a "bad guy" or not.

1 comment:

Richard Majece said...

After reading information from this link you will learn more about top spying apps. It means a lot if you want to achieve success